Friday, July 25, 2014

The Making Of A Traditional Wooden Moulding / Molding Plane

I was having a little fun with a new app on my phone that allows me to take a time lapse video. So, I decided to do a video of me making a moulding plane. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough memory on my phone to do the whole process. Didn't realize this until I was completely done.

Anyhow, this is a little time lapse video of me making the plane from the point of the blank being roughed out to the initial fitting of the wedge. This is probably about 1/6th of the plane making process not including the time to cut the tree, process the log and dry the wood. Nor does it account for iron work or the heat treating process. So in other words it is a snippet of the process but gives you a taste of what is involved.

As you can see, lots of hand work is involved. I would estimate that about 95% of the making of these planes is with hand tools. I use a chainsaw to process the log into manageable sections from the log and then to the bandsaw to take it down to smaller blanks. Then to the kiln for slow drying.

Once it is dried I size the blank on the table saw and cut the shoulder there as well. The wedge is roughed out at the table saw as well on a jig. One of only two jigs for the entire process. Everything after that is done with hand tools all the way to the finish.

All surfaces are left straight from a cutting tool. Either plane, chisel or card scraper. The only exception is truing the final profile with sandpaper to tune it.

Enjoy!




4 comments:

  1. Man, your fast ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, its keeping up that pace that is the hard part. ;)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for all the information you share. Would you possibly be able to video a few process videos using the different gouges to finish the plane?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do my best. I am pretty slow at getting these videos together but I will definitely keep this in mind when I am working on another plane. Hopefully I remember and have some time to get the camera set up, etc. :)

      Delete