Friday, October 11, 2013

New Plane Stamp by Blacksmith Peter Ross

If you have been keeping up with the blog then you may have noticed that I don't stamp the toe of my planes. I have had a custom stamp for my furniture for a long time but my planes have gone nameless. I wanted something that was authentic to stamp my planes. Now I have it!


I asked Peter Ross if he would be willing to make me a plane stamp just like blacksmiths made for planemakers a couple hundred years ago. If you aren't familiar with Peter Ross then you may remember him from Roy Underhill's show The Woodwright's Shop. He is a regular and makes historical tools the way they were made originally.


I am so glad he agreed to make me one. I am so pleased with the results of my stamp. It is better than I could have hoped for. Just look at the results. I think this has added a true authentic feel that matches all the work I try to impart into the planes I make.


 Jack plane


Smoother and Jointer. Right is freshly oiled while the left is an older plane. Both beech of course.

Now, I am ready for Woodworking in America. See you there!

6 comments:

  1. That stamp is pretty awesome. It adds a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tyler. I like that grinder you have with integrated stand, by the way. I need to find one of those.

      Delete
  2. I'm jealous of your stamp Caleb, very authentic. I just have the individual tool and die makers letter punches, that I stamp-MOULDER- on my moulding planes with.
    Talked the wife in going to the WIA, just for the Marketplace, on Saturday-hope to find you there.
    later,
    doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! See you there. I will be in Peter Galbert's Booth. Shouldn't be hard to find.

      Delete
  3. Hey Caleb, I've had lunch with Peter Ross, and he's a stud. Would you mind telling me how much he charged for the stamp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh,

      I can't seem to remember what I payed. Probably around $200 or something like that. Shoot him an email and I am sure he will know what he would do another one for.

      Delete